Saturday, June 9, 2007

My Initial Post and Renewable Energy

Technology is cool but at the same times it creates challenges. Does it really help increase our quality of life? Sometimes the answer is no! Personally, I believe that technology should never be created for technology's sake. There must be a vision and a goal in mind! Throughout my career, I created a lot of really neat technology. In fact, a lot of it is now sitting at the Smithsonian, and no my picture is very current! I was just in the right place at the right time when I was just out of school. As part of my blog, I want to open discussion on what technology investments should be made and examine global strides to achieve these overall visions and goals.

Renewable Energy Technology Investment
When I was just out of college, I worked in a renewable energy laboratory. It was so cool and so much money was being invested at the time because of the cost of oil. IF we had kept investing in that technology instead of stopping investments around 1985 - we would be much better off today! However, many of the advanced countries didn't - so today we're in the midst of playing catchup to 20 years of wasted time in moving this technology forward. That is sad, but it's water under the bridge.

So how do we go forward? What technologies should we be focusing on with the goal of lowering power costs, reducing waste and environmental impact, and reducing our dependency on non-renewable resources?

Tell me what you think and I'll discuss some of the issues surrounding current renewable energy investments and what we need to be looking around for!

Hope you enjoyed my initial post and I'll be continuing discussions and adding new subjects as we go. Kelley

No comments: